Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 3: Connected Specialization

This week's readings reinforced something I have known for awhile about me--I am an auditory learner. For some reason, I reflect best on material that I listen to--like the Siemens podcast.

A topic that really hit home for me was the idea of connected specialization--the networks we form with the people we feel have the knowledge that we are interested in. At first, it sounds a little like a community of learning; however it is different. A community of learning usually decides on a common topic or purpose and then works on that. In connected specialization, I chose a 'topic' for me; but no one else in my network needs to actively work on that topic for me. All members have their own agendas and each member gleans from the group that which is of interest to him or her and ignores that which is not.

3 comments:

Hung To said...

Thanks for clarifying the two ideas of connected specialization and community of learning. I definitely like the idea that students/learners can be apart of a group that increases their specialized knowledge, yet maintain their own interest and visions.

Hung To

Hermione said...

Marshall, you did a great job defining the two.
I could add, that the two concepts are well illustrated by the two features of the www.livejournal.com that I use every day. One is called "community", the other is called "friends". Each community is dedicated to a particular topic of interest, e.g. Politics Forum http://community.livejournal.com/politicsforum/
I am a member of several such communities that fall in my sphere of interests. I also have created a personal network of “friends” (connections) whose blogs I follow every day, but not all topics that they blog on are relevant or interesting for me. I filter that myself.

Marshall said...

Hermione --
I will need to check out live journal. It sounds like a very interesting concept and I agree with you that it appears to combine Community of Learning and connected specialization into one tool. Thanks for the info.